The human body is all about energy. Your nervous system produces and transmits electrical impulses to transmit energy and information from your brain to your body and from your body to your brain. For example, an EKG measures the “electrical” activity of your heart. Every cell in your body has something called mitochondria. And you guessed it, mitochondria produce the energy for your body to function. So, if you are feeling tired, sluggish, or downright exhausted, it means that your energy producing systems are not working their best. This article explores ways for your body to produce more energy which will help you feel and be your best.
1. Spinal Alignment: Why is alignment of your spine important? Your spine houses your spinal cord and the openings where your nerves exit your spinal cord to transmit information from your brain to your body and back to your brain. If your vertebrae are not aligned properly, it can create inflammation of the tissues surrounding your spinal joints and where your nerves exit. Inflammation can put slight pressure on your nerves. Even small amounts of pressure decrease the flow of nutrients and information in nerves. Having your spinal alignment checked by your chiropractor regularly will aid in ensuring better communication in your nervous system and more optimal energy production.
2. Daily Movement & Exercise: Movement and exercise help move toxins out of your body through sweat and bowels. Toxic buildup in your cells, tissues, and organs will make you feel sluggish, tired, and even exhausted. Think of your mitochondria as little engines. If your car engine gets a buildup of gunk, it will work but not as efficiently or as well, and if left unchecked can lead to failure of your car engine. The same is true for your cell’s mitochondria. Movement and exercise aid in cellular cleanup allowing your mitochondria to be more efficient and able to produce more energy.
3. Intermittent Fasting (IF) & Time Restricted Eating (TRE): Both IF and TRE are highly effective ways to boost your energy. When your cells are bogged down with metabolic waste they do not work as well or as efficiently and therefore produce less energy. This contributes to feeling tired, sluggish, or exhausted. Fasting daily for 14-18 hours is known as TRE and will stimulate autophagy, which is how your cells get rid of waste and the byproducts of metabolism. Fasting for more than 24 hours is known as IF. I have been practicing time restricted eating for years now, and I feel more energized now in my mid-fifties than I did in my 20’s.
4. Infra-Red Sauna: Sauna use causes you to sweat and remove toxins. The Fins and Norwegians use saunas regularly to improve their energy and wellbeing. When done regularly, it is an effortless way to aid in cellular cleanup thus giving your mitochondria a greater ability to produce energy. For an added benefit finish with a cold shower or cold soak.
5. Cold Laser Therapy or Low-Level Light Therapy (LLLT): Cold laser therapy uses 635 nm red light in a pulsating beam to stimulate your mitochondria to produce more energy. There are numerous studies on the multitude of benefits of LLLT in accelerating healing from injuries or surgery, decreasing pain, and healing inflammation in the brain and body. Cold laser therapy causes an increase in blood flow, increased oxygen production, new blood vessel formation over time, and an increase in energy or ATP production by your mitochondria. This aids in cellular cleanup and you will produce more energy leaving you feel more energized.
6. Water: It is a simple thing, but I find that a high number of my patients do not drink enough water. Your body is over 70% water. Water is needed to perform normal cellular functions including the production of energy in your mitochondria. It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water daily. To accomplish this, start drinking 8 ounces of water upon rising. Then another 8-12 ounces every hour until a few hours before bedtime. If you enjoy coffee, or any type of caffeinated beverage you need to replace every ounce of caffeinated beverage with an equal amount of water to break even. Anytime you feel tired or sluggish, drink a glass of water.
Your body is the most complex and incredible machine of electrical energy. Reignite your body’s default program of being vital and full of energy by using any or all the strategies discussed in this article. Remember, it is never too late to make a Shift in Health.
Dr. Wendy Henrichs of Timber Land Chiropractic provides comprehensive chiropractic care among other services including pregnancy care, pediatric care, FX 635/405 Cold Laser, Zerona fat loss laser, nutrition counseling and wellness services. Dr. Wendy Henrichs is a board-certified Chiropractic Pediatrician and Nutrition Counselor. Timber Land Chiropractic is located at 1 E. Courtney Street in Rhinelander. For more information, call 715-362-4852 or visit www.timberlandchiropractic.com Instagram @drwendyhenrichs, LinkedIn, and Facebook